Chang and I have been together for over seven years now. It was a whirlwind romance. Starting dating, fell in love, got engaged, got married in less than a year. I guess the saying is true, "when you know, you know."
Fast forward, seven years and three children later, life is still good between us. I read this article in some parenting magazine that talked about how some couples understood that their children came first and were willing to put their marriage on the backburner. I am sorry to say this, but I do not agree at all.
Obviously, having kids just sucks the life out of us. They demand so much attention and effort. But the great thing about children is that they are forgiving (or have awful short-term memory), they are affectionate, and they make it so clear to us everyday that we, as their parents, rock their worlds. In some sense, it is so easy to pour out every ounce of our beings to better their lives.
Adults, on the other hand, hold petty grudges. We forget to say "thanks" and "I love you" and "honey, you've had a long, hard day with the kids. Why don't you sit down, watch TV, and eat some ice cream while I do the dishes, clean up the kitchen, and fold the laundry?" While we, as wives, may have rocked our husbands' worlds when we first got together, now, they would rather watch football than listen to us talk about the millions of poopy diapers we changed (seriously? How is Tom Brady being out for the season more interesting than a greenish, brownish, redish poopy diaper?). And let's be honest, sometimes sleep is just so much more satisfying than making whoopie.
Well, for the most part, Chang and I are still having a good time. I think we're doing a good job still seeing each other as the love of our lives, not just the cook and the nanny, or the breadwinner and the handyman. Sometimes I might be caught reading Porn for New Moms or watching Kevin James pole dancing but what can I say, it turns me on.
Fast forward, seven years and three children later, life is still good between us. I read this article in some parenting magazine that talked about how some couples understood that their children came first and were willing to put their marriage on the backburner. I am sorry to say this, but I do not agree at all.
Obviously, having kids just sucks the life out of us. They demand so much attention and effort. But the great thing about children is that they are forgiving (or have awful short-term memory), they are affectionate, and they make it so clear to us everyday that we, as their parents, rock their worlds. In some sense, it is so easy to pour out every ounce of our beings to better their lives.
Adults, on the other hand, hold petty grudges. We forget to say "thanks" and "I love you" and "honey, you've had a long, hard day with the kids. Why don't you sit down, watch TV, and eat some ice cream while I do the dishes, clean up the kitchen, and fold the laundry?" While we, as wives, may have rocked our husbands' worlds when we first got together, now, they would rather watch football than listen to us talk about the millions of poopy diapers we changed (seriously? How is Tom Brady being out for the season more interesting than a greenish, brownish, redish poopy diaper?). And let's be honest, sometimes sleep is just so much more satisfying than making whoopie.
Well, for the most part, Chang and I are still having a good time. I think we're doing a good job still seeing each other as the love of our lives, not just the cook and the nanny, or the breadwinner and the handyman. Sometimes I might be caught reading Porn for New Moms or watching Kevin James pole dancing but what can I say, it turns me on.
Then

vs. Now
3 comments:
OMG--your links are hilarious!
are u serious? do you really read that? is it any good?! HAHAHA!!! man, your post just cracked me up. i need that today. :)
Post a Comment