I am reading a book called "Me Talk Pretty One Day" by David Sedaris. I used to listen to NPR exclusively in the car during my hour long commute to and from work in the bay area. David Sedaris was one of my favorite commentators so I thought his book would be a fun read. It is a humorous book and he is a great writer. But to his benefit, he had five siblings, a crystal meth addition, eccentric parents and a coming-out-of-the-closet experience. Let's just say he has a lot of material and experiences to draw upon for his short stories. Sometimes, as I do the dishes, I think about the future best-seller that I am going to write one day. A fictional story that is loosely based on my own troubled childhood? A helpful guide chock full of wisdom for mothers? All these things have been so overdone and I have no original ideas of my own.
As I realized that my chances of writing truly engaging stories about my life is minimal at best, I had a second realization. I can be the crazy mother about whom my children can write strange but true stories! If I think about it, I am doing a pretty good job right now without even trying. While everyone else blogs about how adorable and cherished their children are, I blog about ditching them on the side of the road in another country. Not normal, right? Hopefully, in about 30 years, my dubious parenting skills will be immortalized. As people read about my own eccentricities, they'll shake their head in amazement and think, that can't be true...and I will stand in the shadows while the world applauds my prodigious progeny--though embarrassed that my malevolent methods of mothering have been revealed for the world to read, relieved that at least some good came of it.
Umma
3 years ago
1 comment:
suzee, just make your blog into a book. it's hilarious and i love reading it! :)
Post a Comment