Friday, September 12, 2008

Remembering 9/11

Do you remember where you were on that fateful day? For me, it is a day that I will never forget.

Chang and I were dating and we got into the biggest fight we ever had the day before. I don't even remember over what we disagreed. I drove to work on 9/11 still in tears because I wasn't sure if we were going to make it. I tried to go inside my building and the security guard turned me away because of "a bomb threat." I just shrugged my shoulders and went back into my car, thinking that I would just telecommute that day. I decided to call Chang on the way back to my apartment and he told me about the planes crashing into the World Trade Center. It was still awkward between us when we hung up.

When I got home, I turned on the TV and just sobbed. The whole day. In mourning from the images that they were showing. New York--the city that never sleeps was solemn, silent. The remnants of the towers spewing ashes over the city. People crossing the Brooklyn bridge on foot like refugees. Everytime they replayed the second plane hitting the tower, and the tower collapsing, I had to turn my face away. It was just too awful to witness repeatedly.

Chang came over sometime towards the evening and we sat in his car in silence. I remember not knowing how to feel because the whole world felt upside down, and my own world reflected, to a small degree (can anything ever compare?), that chaos. Again, I do not remember what words were uttered that night. But I know that for me, it was that night that I realized that I did not want to live in a world where he was not present.

That is my memory from the most horrific (and yet still blessed) day of my life.

1 comment:

Trisha said...

Stab me in the heart why don't ya. I definitely had an emotional response to this post. I remember the intensity of that day and what you said about not wanting to "live in a world where (Chang) was not present." Wah! Crying like a baby...on the inside. That's some real life emotion right there and expressed so well. Love your blog Susan.