Sunday, September 14, 2008

Coffee: My Ambrosia

I LOVE coffee. Cannot live without it. It is not the caffeine because I have been drinking decaf since I found out I was pregnant with Joey. It is the flavor, the aroma, the comfort, the sensation--I love it all. That being said, I am no connoisseur. It's like wine. Really, truly, I know nothing. I thought it was cool to drink merlot until they made fun of it in the movie Sideways. And wine in a box? Why didn't I think of that? Make it pink and sweet so it takes like a cocktail (i.e. white zinfindel), awesome!

So, being a coffee dork and more importantly, not being a morning person, I would make a big batch of coffee once a week, put the carafe in the fridge, and nuke a cup every morning. The flavor, the aroma, the comfort--all good enough for me. But honestly, in the morning, I could be drinking hot poop water with some hazelnut creamer, I wouldn't know the difference until about 10:30 which is when I become conscious, despite having been awake for a few hours already. It would be around that time that I would say, holy crap! I am drinking, well, crap!


But I have a friend who freshly roasts coffee beans. When the husband found out what I was doing, I think he nearly had a heart attack. Apparently coffee goes rancid. Huh, who knew? Plus, I guess it wasn't the smartest thing to store something so acidic in my metal carafe. Eh, you live and learn. So at my favorite store Tar-jey, they had this interesting contraption:



Perfect for me and my delicious, fresh roasted beans. Yum yum!

1 comment:

moonbeamsue said...

That is an interesting contraption. I would have never thought to keep coffee for days on end. I have a plastic cone that I use because I don't want to committ to a coffee maker on my counter. I'll have to check out the contraption as a good alternative!