Monday, September 8, 2008

Korean Beef Stew (kalbi jjim)

It is so dangerous to go to the grocery store when you are hungry, isn't it? I always get so ambitious about the things I can make during the week. I already had stuff for dinner tonight but I ended up buying short ribs because I was really craving kalbi jjim. The problem is, I have no idea how to make a lot of korean food because when I ask my mom how to make something, she usually says, "Oh you just add some soy sauce and sugar and sesame oil and garlic and just taste it to make sure it tastes okay." Ummm, I'm looking for exact measurements Mom! Anything Korean I make that tastes okay is by sheer luck that I got the correct ratio of ingredients together. Once I made dduk boki for small group and this guy ate the whole pot because he said it was the best he ever ate. I have no idea how I made it and have never tried to replicate it again. Too much pressure.


Anyhow, I found a recipe from someone I am guessing is a woman and filipino. Go figure. But it turned out pretty well if I do say so myself. Plus it was super easy so I think I'll be making it again soon. And if I am feeling healthy, maybe I'll make it with chicken.

1 lb of short ribs
1 onion
1 potato
handful of mushrooms
splash of sesame oil
1 TB minced garlic
3/4 cup soy sauce
3/4 cup sugar
salt

I modified the original recipe because I didn't have ginger (and I'm not crazy about it anyhow), I love potatoes and my kids love mushrooms in my stew so I added that, and I'm not into presentation so I didn't care about the sesame seeds and onion leaves. I boiled the meat once and threw out the water to make the broth less fatty. Then I covered the meat in water, added all the other ingredients (except the salt) and let it boil again. I added some salt to taste and then I let it simmer for two hours until the meat fell off the bone.

Very little leftovers so I am happy and consider it a success.

3 comments:

Trisha said...

That sounds good! Thanks for the recipe.

Unknown said...

I made this! It was so yummy and perfect for our cooling fall weather.

Trisha said...

oops...yeah right. Jerold doesn't cook. I didn't realize he was logged on.