My little Elysha had a fever for like 10 days. I was trying to hold off on the antibiotics but after a week of fevers that reached 103 degrees, I gave in. Unfortunately, she needs to be taking the medicine over a course of 10 days and she is one stubborn child. I like to joke that considering both Chang and I are stubborn, she got a double dose of stubbornness.
With Joey, even when she was younger, if you explained to her that she would have to go to the hospital and get shots if she didn't take her medicine, she would succumb and take the medicine. Besides, the girl loves to eat everything so she likes the taste of most medicines. With Elysha, however, I think she refuses to cooperate on principle. A child is supposed to be difficult in these situations so she makes sure she is difficult and puts on a good show while she is at it. Bawling, screaming no, throwing herself onto the bed, shamelessly wiping away the tears from her eyes...it is all quite impressive. I tell her she has a choice between really painful shots or the bubblegum flavored medicine (the flavoring for which I paid extra), she chooses the shots. I ask her if she wants to go to the hospital and she says yes. Curses child! You are supposed to be freaked out, not flippant!
Anyhow, what finally got her to take her medicine on a regular basis is a single jelly bean after each dose. Our promises of princess castles and trips to Disneyland were fruitless. All it took was a single purple jelly belly. Who knew?
Umma
3 years ago
1 comment:
sounds just like Syd..sigh...
Post a Comment