I just got a new tracking tool for this blog site because I am so curious who is reading it. Well now, I see you.
When I first started this blog, I assumed that my husband and I were the only ones reading it. I didn't announce to everyone that I started this blog. Just a few friends. And I didn't want it to be searchable. I only wanted people who somehow had a connection to me reading it. After a few months of sporadic blogging, I became curious about how many people were reading my blog. 5 friends? 10? So I got statcounter to track page loads and visitors. I was really surprised to see that I had a modest loyal following. Suddenly, I felt pressure to keep posting regularly to keep all my adoring fans happy. Instead of going to bed at a reasonable hour, I would be posting blogs and even scheduling blogs in advance to ensure fresh content regularly. With great power comes great responsibility.
Some friends have put me up on their Blog List which is cool and totally welcomed. One day my visitor count doubled and I thought, they love me. They can't get enough of me. People are being charmed by my eloquence, unique insight, and wicked humor that they are clicking in droves! I am becoming famous! Well, it turns out my dear friend Nina linked my vacation post. Cool. Even more people to feel better about their own mothering skills compared to my own inefficacy. That's why I do it folks. To make you feel better about yourselves.
But now, I have entered a new level of blogger celebrityhood. After another spike in my friends' count, I have installed sitemeter. It tells me how people came to my site. I noticed a lot of people were coming from kimchimamas. If you look under "ban chan" which is on the right side of the Kimchi Mamas blogsite, there is a link to me. I am so flattered. I just want to thank you, all my fans, for without you, I would not be linked. mwah! mwah! Pageant wave. I love you!
Umma
3 years ago
6 comments:
oh my...you made me laugh out loud again this morning. thanks! i just installed sitemeter too..hehe..although i don't think i'm as famous as you. :)
does a sitemeter count independant visits? like if a person visits twice in a day, does it show as twice or once?
just curious, cuz i had one on my site, and it was SO inaccurate- turns out. there are websites out there trying to spam you too. (and other stuff i don't get)
i think google analytics is good. it will tell you who visits, and how long they visit... stuff like that. i was so intrigued with it, for the first week, and now i'm back to not caring :)
Hi Susan. Glad you did find me - I've been lurking about on blogspot and facebook this summer, and now am finally getting more involved. Love reading your posts -- you are so funny, in a very charming way! :) ~Tricia
gosh, now i can't visit your blog anymore...j/k. i'm on the computer all day, so i read your blog and dear abby to lighten the mood, which it does =)
thanks for all the comments. i really do appreciate the support and encouragement. if i can lighten up the day, make you laugh, and feel better about yourself as a mom, then this blogging is all worth it!
sillie smile--depends on the tool. but generally you can get a breakdown between a visit and page views. statcounter tells me repeat visitors and first time visitors based on cookies. my website is unsearchable so you have to know the exact url to view it and i have it set so you can't google it (i believe). i think that helps reduce the spamming.
i still love seeing the data. i just want to give a shout out to my east coast readers and canadian readers too. thanks for reading, eh!
Congrats on being famous! I found you on Kimchi Mamas, too. :)
Post a Comment