Thursday, October 30, 2008

Dear Diary...

From time to time, as I am preparing for Sam's party this week, I wonder why am I going through so much trouble. He is not going to even remember it. Isn't that the irony of it all? Next year, Chang and I have decided we are putting a moratorium on birthday parties. But the girls are going to be five and four, so if we really follow through and not do any parties next year, I can already imagine the amount of whining we will need to withstand. Is it worth it? A couple weeks of endless errand running and hundreds of dollars vs. God knows how much whining...I am beginning to doubt myself.

Yesterday I went to Costco, Michael's, Whole Foods, and Bed, Bath and Beyond all before 1pm. Then I came home, fed Sam, got stuff together for the girls and then picked them up from school. We went to go get their flu shot (I'll leave the details for another post, but let's just say that it took a couple nurses to hold one of the girls down) and then went to a pumpkin patch in West Hollywood as a reward for getting their shots.

Today I went to Staples, Target and Walgreens in the morning. Poor Sam, he is suffering so much since I am messing with his nap schedule everyday so I can run errands for his party that he won't even remember. I was in the dollar bins section at Target and they had these cute wooden instruments which I thought would be perfect for the babies who are coming to the party. Unfortunately, a lady was already looking at the toys and felt it necessary that she shake, clap, or snap every freakin' instrument in the bin. I don't know what criteria she had but apparently, some castanets just weren't snappy enough. What was she expecting? It was the DOLLAR BIN! I hovered and breathed on her for about five minutes while she investigated the quality of these "made in China" toys. Finally, she stepped away when my close breathing was starting to mist on the back of her neck. Either that or maybe it was because I kept sticking my finger into her ear. I'm not sure which of the two was more unnerving but my strategy worked.

I don't know why I thought it would be a good idea to plan a party for the day after Halloween. What was I thinking? I still need to make Sam's picture collage tonight like I did for Joey and Elysha's parties. Plus, I think I am going to bake some mini cupcakes tomorrow. I think the only reason I haven't jumped off a ledge is because I had a chance to go out twice this week for my monthly mom meetings with church small group moms and tonight, with preschool moms. I ate some desserts, drank a cosmo, laughed until I peed in my pants, and came home refreshed. And I have the best hubby who put the kids down so I could go out and relieve some stress. Thanks babe.

Elysha must have thought she looked pretty hot with her face painting



Joey, posing prettily as usual

2 comments:

moonbeamsue said...

Good luck, Suzee! You know it's worth it. And for next year, how about following the rule, one guest times the age they are turning? I know, that's probably impossible, but worth considering! Enjoy it...Sam is only turning one this one time.

Sue

Anonymous said...

Aww...the girls look adorable! I know--it's so much work to do their Bday parties. Ours were very simple family gatherings for the first couple of years, and then we started inviting classmates, friends, and their siblings, and it quickly got out of control!