I got in touch with the doctor's office today. Finally. It took two phone calls, more tears and frustration, but we got the date that we wanted. Finally.
It will be on Monday and I will be driving out Sunday so I can get her to the hospital early in the morning. I can't believe this is happening. It just all feels surreal.
Thanks for all your prayers, words of encouragement, and positive thoughts. I really appreciate it.
........................
You know me and my constant thoughts of writing a book. I also thought about writing a book about my mom's life. I have no problems talking about my thoughts or my questionable parenting methods (so long as there are no social workers reading this). But when it comes to my past, I don't like to talk about it. From the few fragments I have posted, you might have an inkling that there was some stuff that has happened that was difficult. I know that everyone has their family drama, times in their lives that were traumatic. I used to think I had more than my fair share of them and a part of me was bitter for a long time. But I think with kids, peace must reign the heart.
In any case, my mom has already lived a very difficult life--from losing her father at a young age, growing up in the war, being a part of the first set of children in a second marriage, growing up poor, marrying a man that loved her intensely but didn't always make the right choices, living with a mother-in-law and sisters-in-law who treated her like a slave, immigrating to a foreign country and working whatever jobs she could to barely make ends meet...the list goes on and on and I just think that it is amazing that she has survived through that and so much more, with so much optimism, love and generosity. Any poise and equanimity that I possess is most certainly learned behavior from her.
I remember those days when I wanted to be nothing like my mom. What is it about adolescence that makes us only see the negative in everything and everyone? Now, I can only hope to be half as amazing as my mom.
Umma
3 years ago
1 comment:
YAY!!! Praise GOD you guys got Monday!!!! Thanks for updating us on your blog..i've been checking to see if you got the date or not. :) will be praying for successful surgery & quick healing!!!
Post a Comment