This election year has involved all the members of our family. Whenever there is a debate on, the TV is on. I have been reading as much as I can about the two candidates because unlike most Californians, I like them both. At first I was excited about Sarah Palin, but the more I heard her talk, the less convinced I was. Though Chang and I are both independents, we lean right. For me, I believe in smaller federal government and more state control. Social issues, to be honest, I see so much gray that it is hard to be as black and white as Chang. In any case, the less federal taxes, the better, as far as I am concerned.
Though we missed the DNC, we watched a part of the RNC. This was Joey's first exposure to John McCain. For whatever reason, she gets excited whenever she sees him and yells out, "Hey, that's John McCain!" When we were watching the third presidential debate, she again smiled at the sight of McCain. Then she turned to us and asked us, "Who is that brown guy?" At this age, are we supposed to say, "No, no, he's African American"? I didn't know what to say. How can we teach our children to be color-blind but culturally sensitive?
Also, Joey keeps calling him Bama. I think she thinks we are saying, Oh Bama, as in, "That's McCain and oh, Bama."
I asked her today whom she prefers and she said she prefers McCain. I think we have our own little Alex P Keaton on our hands.
Umma
3 years ago
No comments:
Post a Comment