Thursday, July 31, 2008

It was good while it lasted...


My garden is being viciously attacked by a white fungus. I don't know what is going on but I am losing my zucchini. I chopped away half of the stock in hopes of abating the fungal predator but alas, the war rages on. I am waiting for a few more zucchini to grow to maturity before I completely uproot because I would like to make another batch of zucchini bread this summer, but we'll have to see.

Before planting my garden, I treated the ground with liquid gypsium. My soil was clay and not loomy so I knew I had to do some conditioning in order to ensure a modicum of success. I wonder if the soil is changing back to clay which causes bad drainage. This leads to root rot and when the roots stay wet, fungus can grow--like athlete's foot.

In any case, I am willing to uproot my zucchini to salvage my cantelope which we are still waiting for the fruit to ripen.


I have yielded a ton of tomatoes this season. This was helpful during the attack of the killer tomatoes scare this summer. With it, I have made salsa, bruschetta and caprese. If I get enough, I might try to make some marinara or arrabiata.

I am in love with growing vegetables. I can't wait for next season.

1 comment:

sillie smile said...

yay! you made a post about your garden... was so curious to see it. not sure why the last time i was there i didn't check it out?? anyway- so much to make with tomatoes and zuchinni :) yum.