Thursday, July 17, 2008

My Backstreet Boys Lover

On one of our first dates...



I'm not sure how many people are going to be able to read this before I am forced to delete this post but it's been swirling around my head for the last few days. he he...

When my aunt was here on Tuesday, I had the wonderful opportunity to attack our scary front yard. Basically, aside from pruning the roses, I haven't done much to it except uprooting an enormous tree. Though it was a beautiful tree, the roots were getting under the foundation of the house. So since last week, I have been pulling out weeds whenever I get a chance.

I turned on my hand-me-down iPod (Chang got the iPod Touch last Christmas so he gave me his old one) which was completely configured by Chang. I must have chosen to play every song by artist alphabetically which I didn't mind initially until...

...without any warning, it started. And it did not stop until maybe five or six songs later, just one after another, those falsetto voices and valiant declarations of loving me 'til the end of time, even if I didn't have a dime, why o why wont'cha be mine, because baby baby, I think you're fine. It was the Backstreet Boys, the beloved boy band of 15 year old girls and my husband. Since my gloved hands were so dirty, I didn't forward the songs like I normally do. Here I was, forced to listen to their cliched rhymes and identical sounding songs.

But something strange happened...I actually started to listen to their songs. Okay, I still think they (the group, the songs, the whole shebang) are awful. But it made me appreciate my darling husband more. Every song seemed to be sung to some woman whom they love, despite their better judgment. It made me think about the person I was before Chang and I got together, and what a lucky gal I am that Chang didn't give up on me so easily.

We were not interested in each other when we first met. He thought I was too anti-social, and I thought he was materialistic and self-absorbed (though my perception was not based on any interactions but on a pair of shoes that he wore the first day we met). His perception of me was correct, however. I had so many issues that I still had to work out--mostly in the realm of emotional healing and being morbidly introspective--that I wasn't exactly the friendliest person. I finally worked things out personally and came out of my shell. Chang and I began to converse around that time. Ours wasn't one of those relationships that explode overnight. It was more like a slow simmer because I wasn't exactly the friendliest person (just to reiterate). While we both had issues we had to work through, he had way more hurdles he had to jump over in order to be with me. A lesser man would have walked away. But Chang loved me with the love that the BSB sing about--I don't care who you are, what you did, where you're from, as long as you love me. So to those four men who no longer have singing careers, I salute you.
Honey, I love you and I know you put up with so much daily. God really blessed me when He brought you into my life. Thanks for being you...perfect for me.

2 comments:

Mommy Lim said...

i love this post...high five to Chang!!! don't delete it. :)

connieMchung said...

lol. cheers to the boys wih no singing careers.

i love your posts. straight up hilarious.