Tuesday, May 5, 2009

Warm and Fuzzy--that's Me!

One thing I love about being a mom is that I get to cuddle with my kids. (I know, I am not usually sappy on my blog, so excuse this deviation.)

Because of stuff from my childhood, I became a bit stiff around people that I didn't know. As Chang likes to say, I was a cold fish. I wasn't one to hug people, shake hands, make eye contact, acknowledge your existence. I was a guarded person and didn't like to be touched. Yup, the life of the party, that was me...if life of the party means hovering over the food table the whole time, that was me.

But becoming a mom changes all that. There is no such thing as personal space with kids. They are hovering inches away from you all day, if not actually hanging onto you. Yes, it gets annoying. But I know I will miss the day that Sam doesn't want me to smother him with kisses, when Elysha doesn't smash her face against mine in bed so that we both don't have to wake up, when Joey stops rubbing my eyebrows when she is upset or tired. I hope that a day doesn't go by when I don't kiss my kids more times than I can count on my fingers, or when I don't scoop them up in my arms, sit them in my lap, and squeeze them against my body and tell them that I love them.

Now that I have my cuddle bunnies, I have become a warm and fuzzy person with other people too. I know that I am still not little Miss Sunshine, but hopefully, people won't still use terms like "cold fish" and "a nut that you have to crack" to describe me anymore.

2 comments:

Mommy Lim said...

i think you're Miss Sunshine. :)

Asianmommy said...

That's true--it's really hard not to kiss them and hold them sometimes!