Monday, May 25, 2009

Parent/Teacher Conference

Chang and I met with the girls' preschool teacher the other day, and she confirmed what I have known all along--my girls are freakin' geniuses.

Joey is reading really well and comprehending what she is reading. She has mastered addition, subtraction, multiplication, and is currently working on division. And if I drop a box of toothpicks on the floor, she can count them in six seconds.

Elysha is reading (at age three) and, according to her teacher, is academically, socially and emotionally advanced for her age. The teacher told us that Elysha is very motivated to excel because she wants to catch up to Joey. The teacher also thinks she will be the new leader of the Pink Ladies once the older girls graduate.

Because Joey is advanced academically, really tall for her age, and her birthday is not too far from the cutoff date for kindergarten, I am considering getting her tested for skipping kindergarten. I keep going back and forth because I am really worried that she will be bored in kindergarten and then become a slacker like her mama. But at the same time, it might boost her confidence being at the head of the class. And these days, everyone holds their kids back so I'm sure there will be kids similar to her at our local elementary school. The preschool teacher told us that she would write a note recommending that Joey skip kindergarten. But if we decided to not pursue it, then at the very least, she really wants us to make sure her kindergarten teacher knows that Joey is advanced so that her academic needs are met.

I'm not writing these things to brag. I am just really uncertain what to do. The thought that makes the most sense to me is leaving it up to Joey. The only person I know who skipped kindergarten, ended up going to Harvard and was a National Merit Scholar in high school. Her little sister, who was always trying to catch up, went to Harvard as well. Hmmm...what to do? what to do?

4 comments:

Mommy Lim said...

don't let her skip. everyone that i know that skipped a grade are socially awkward. hahah...JUST KIDDING! i guess it's best to let her decide, but won't she miss her friends? even if syd ends up being a genius like joey (which i'm sure she won't, unless she has her daddy's brain) i still want to hold her back because everyone these days are holding their kids back and i don't want her to be 4 hanging out with 7 year olds...scary! good seeing you guys! sorry it was chaotic so we couldn't catch up more! see you in july! :)

Anonymous said...

Why would you want your girls to go to Hahbahduh, anyway? ;) Do you really want to be shelling out $50K a year (or whatever it's going to be when they're old enough to go to college)? I'm going to groom Sophie for CalPoly.

Seriously, though, research has shown that kids who are the oldest in their cohorts (even though it's only a few months) end up being the most successful academically and career-wise. This is why so many parents are holding their kids back.

Just an FYI... Godo luck with the decision!
Ruth

Mrs. Sophia said...

awwww im looking forward to seeing the girls again in june! :) yea, montessori schools are so great because they really unleash the full potential of the kids, even if they're only 3 or 4. i'm not surprised that joey is already working on addition... look at who her parents are!! ;)

Snoopy's Twinkie said...

I definitely think all the time you devoted to your girls in their "formative" years made all the difference in the world, don't you think? But then of course, there's also the genetics part we can't dismiss. :)