Ever since the conference, I've been analyzing Joey like some sort of specimen. She really amazes me at how smart she is. The other day she read this really difficult book. There were some complex words in there but she would sound it out and then remember what the word was in the context of the story. She also seems to grasp multiplication. I forgot what we were talking about but I said that 2 + 2 +2 is 6. And then Joey said, like 3 + 3 =6 or 6 x 1 = 6. I couldn't believe she just did all of that in her head.
However, I have also been watching her in regards to her social and emotional maturity. I have noticed that she has grown both socially and emotionally. But like Mommy Lim commented, I don't want her to be socially awkward. A friend who was a kindergarten teacher says that she doesn't like the whole concept of skipping grades. She could always tell who were the younger students in her classes.
I asked Joey what she wanted to do and tried to lay out the pros and cons of skipping a grade. She said she wanted to skip. But the more and more I think about it and get feedback from other people, I may just have her stay in kindergarten. I think we'll start the whole process but I think I would rather her be a really well prepared rock star student in kindergarten than a potentially socially and emotionally less mature 1st grader.
Umma
3 years ago
No comments:
Post a Comment