It is so sad when I hear my baby coughing like he is hacking up a lung. He has also broken out in a rash. This is the third time it has happened. Unfortunately, I don't know if it is just a viral rash or if he is allergic to nuts.
The first time, my aunt gave him a smoothie with ground almonds in it. When I found out, I asked her to stop but didn't think too much of it since the girls don't have any allergies, nor do Chang or I. But the next day, Sam broke out in an awful rash. He was also on antibiotics at the time to help clear up an ear infection so my sister in law thought it might be due to the antibiotic. We switched his antibiotic and gave him something like zyrtec for his rash. I hoped it was due to the antibiotic because nut allergies are so scary.
The second time, he was sick, but not on antibiotics. We were at my brother's house and saw a container of Cheerios. I didn't realize it was Honey Nut Cheerios until it was too late. As I was closing the plastic jar, it smelled like rice crackers. I asked my sister in law what the container had before the Cheerios. Peanuts. Oh, nuts! The next day, he breaks out in a rash again but not as bad as the first time. I give him a couple doses of Benedryl and it clears up. This time, I am beginning to suspect that he is allergic to nuts so I tell Chang and the girls to be careful since we are a nut loving family.
The third and most recent time, Chang is shelling peanuts and leaving the shells on the coffee table at my mom's with Sam cruising around everywhere. When I realize this, I ask him to stop eating the peanuts. He doesn't think it is a big deal but I am feeling a little freaked out. In Chang's defense, we are just so not used to allergies so I don't think he realizes that something so tiny as a peanut shell could cause an allergic reaction. But Sam is already sick at this time with a fever that I thought was teething because there is a river of drool running out of his mouth constantly. A couple of days later, Sam breaks out in a rash.
I just don't know what to think. Is it nuts? Is it just the way his cold is manifesting in his body? I'm so bad about taking my kids to the doctor but I think I should right? Because it is always a mild rash does it mean that he is only mildly allergic to nuts? Is it even possible to have a mild nut allergy? So scary and frustrating.
Umma
3 years ago
2 comments:
I'd see the doctor and find out for sure. Allergies are so common these days, and nut allergies can be really scary.
slowly catching up on blogs, finally!
i think it might be?up to 3 days to react, altho i find that most kids react within 24 hours.
you can have a mild allergy. and i'm sure different nuts, cause different reactions?
have him tested. but i think blood tests are not as accurate, but it's better to have some idea than none. since he's so young, he may grow out of it by the time he's 2, which is when the recommend giving nuts anyway, isn't it??
i don't know...since i have a VERY allergic child, i'm paranoid of her trying anything!
Post a Comment