Friday, January 23, 2009

Liar, Liar, Pants on Fire

Joey lies. She's been doing it for a couple years now. She has also tried to steal from my mom once but my mom knew exactly what she was doing and warned me. The stealing episode was when she was three years old. Scary huh? I have friends whose kids are emotionally manipulative and my kids are not there yet (thank God). But lying...already? At age five, the only thing she can really lie about is whether or not she brushed her teeth or washed her hands after using the bathroom. Unfortunately for her, though her lips may speak falsehoods, her eyes scream out the truth. When she lies, she turns her face down so her eyes get really big and fearful.

Me: Joey, did you wash your hands?
Joey: (slowly and quietly responds) yes?
Me: Joey, please don't lie. Did you wash your hands?
Joey: (defensively and angrily responds) Yes! I did! I'm not lying...but don't smell my hands.

To say that I am concerned about the future when she is a teenager is an understatement of magnificent proportions.

How can you not trust this face?

3 comments:

sillie smile said...

HAHAHA!
"but don't smell my hands" hahahahaha :) love it!

Mommy Lim said...

syd does the SAME thing already!!! She says she washed her hands and she didn't so now i have to smell them to make sure!

Anonymous said...

Hee! I think they all lie--they just tell you what they wish had happened instead of what actually happened.