Tuesday, December 16, 2008

The Day the Earth Stood Still

Chang and I had a date night tonight. It feels like it has been a long time since we have been able to get out on our own so it was fun.

We (he) wanted to watch Transporter 3, which I hear is gunning for academy awards. But we weren't able to get to the theatre in time. So we watched The Day the Earth Stood Still. It was just okay, though Keanu Reeves was great as a stoic and laconic non-human. I couldn't help but feel, however, that the message of the movie was very timely. The human race is in a crisis state and we arrived here by our own doing. We all bit off more than we can chew and the world's economy is going to pieces. We invented all these modern conveniences and it is destroying our environment. It makes me think about the line repeated in one of my favorite movies Heathers, "What a waste, oh the humanity."

However, a big theme in The Day the Earth Stood Still was that we, the human race, are capable of changing for the better. And I really believe this is true. It is in the moments when we hit rock bottom, when we are faced with the reality and limitations of our humanity, that we can shine. We let go and give it up to God...like when I was told I would miscarry Sam...like when the ER doctors were freaking out as I was lying on the gurney, bleeding out...like when my mom told me she had cancer.

Our children are our biggest ways of declaring our hope for the future and staking our trust in tomorrow. There are many reasons why I love my children, but one of them, is because I see love and joy, so pure and unadulterated in them.

Whoa!...as Keanu would say...all this from watching one of his movies.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

That reminds me--I need to schedule a date night!

Anonymous said...

beautiful post. beautiful pictures...and all inspired from a keanu movie! :)

-Ohri Umma

Mommy Lim said...

lucky..i wanna go out on a date with my hubby. :) adorable pics!

Anonymous said...

Hi Susie! I just discovered your blog! I haven't read anything yet or looked at pics but I will! =) Did I give your our blog address? =) Bye friend! Heidi Bigler!