No, I'm not talking about the economy, the nonexistent job market, or the War in Iraq. I'm talking about Health Care.
I have been dealing with all the bills related to my mom's cancer. It has been overwhelming! I heard on NPR that there is a business on health care advocacy. It just seems wrong that while a person is dealing with a potentially terminal illness, s/he has to deal with all the run around you get from the insurance company, the doctor's office, etc. I think it is ridiculous that doctors charge a premium for cash patients to make up for the shortfall in payments received by insurance companies and the government. I hate that I have to call people multiple times and still not get my questions answered.
It makes me think about all the people who can't speak English well or don't put up a fight. What happens to them? Taking care of these things can take up a good part of my free time (aka Sam's nap time). What do people do when they work jobs like my Pottery Barn job in which you don't have the luxury of making personal phone calls during business hours? These are the people working close to, if not at, minimum wage, uninsured or under-insured...it just makes me think. I wonder if there is something I can do in the future when I, hypothetically, will have more free time. Maybe one day, it won't be this difficult.
To inject some humor into my gripe session...guess what my brother and I bought my mom for Christmas? A boob. Her prosthetic boob wasn't going to be covered by insurance so my mom didn't want it. I talked to my brother and we split the cost. My mom called me today and said thanks again. She sounded so happy to finally be even again. Worth every penny...
Umma
3 years ago
1 comment:
I love that you bought your mom a boob. What a great kid. :)
Post a Comment