Monday, December 1, 2008

Current Soundtrack for My Life

Jaws...the music from this movie is very fitting for what is going on in my life. Small foreboding signs of the imminent danger. I feel like we are on the verge...of insanity (though some may argue that I have gone over that point a LONG time ago).

Sam took two steps today. It is hard not to be excited for him. Whenever he stands, he claps for himself and has the biggest smile on his face. Sometimes I think it is the force of his laughter that causes him to tumble down in a heap. I think I might still have a few more weeks before he is walking full time. And I promise that I won't swipe his feet when he is standing to hinder his progress. Even I would not stoop to such lows just to un-complicate my life.

Joey is able to read small books on her own and can spell words too. Today, she read the Dora sippy cup she has been using for years. It finally occurred to her that she can read the words, "Let's go!" The other day as I was packing for Thanksgiving, I was asking Chang whether or not I should pack a fancy D-R-E-S-S for the girls. Joey was in the other room, eavesdropping on our conversation, and suddenly yelled out, "Dress!" Great. I mean, wohoo, I am really excited that she has reached this incredible milestone. However, I am soon going to have to alter the manner in which I exchange top secret information with Chang (or other literate adults). Like, "can you go to See's and get me some C-H-O-C-O-L-A-T-E?" I guess we can speak Korean around each other but I don't know how to say dessert in Korean, and chocolate and ice cream is essentially pronounced the same way.

Elysha is also learning the sounds of the alphabet so she is well on her way to ending my sneaky sweet consumption completely. I never give the girl enough credit. I assumed she didn't know any sounds and that she wouldn't want to be quizzed by me. After our parent-teacher conference, the teacher encouraged Chang and me to go through the sounds with Elysha. Sam got these dinosaur flash cards for his birthday and we started using them with Elysha. We've created a monster (or two). Now, every night, the girls have been begging me to quiz them. Damn my nerd gene! It appears to have been passed down to both girls.

It is the beginning of the end for me. I am probably going to get all skinny now because I will be chasing after my walking son and I can no longer sneak in See's behind the girls' back.

3 comments:

Mommy Lim said...

another post where i busted out laughing. i fear the day i have to stop spelling. it's my only way to communicate with T..oh well..i guess his korean is gonna improve drastically in the next few years. :)

Anonymous said...

Wow--that's so exciting that Sam can walk & Joey can read!
I admit, I do speak to my husband in Taiwanese when I don't want the girls to know what I'm saying. It can be hard sometimes, because my Taiwanese isn't very good! :)

Trisha said...

haha! There's always Pig Latin... "ocolate-chey"