Monday, March 10, 2008

Joey is reading!


Well, sort of. At her school, if a student is ready, s/he is allowed to take home a book. I think they practice reading the book with a teacher and then they take home the same book and read it to their parents. Joey has been learning phonics at school and has been showing some interest in reading. So I got her some sight reading books. Instead of the word, there will be a picture in place of it. She was doing a good job with those.


I am proud of her and really love the school because they really encourage a love for learning. They had an open house the other day where the students could show their parents what they were learning in school. Montessori uses these learning trays or activity carpets where a student chooses what s/he wants to do on her own. And every activity something is learned--whether it be fine motor skills, counting, phonics, drawing, etc. Joey wanted to keep doing activities during the open house so she clearly has a great time. Without any prodding from me, she is learning to read!


Elysha is learning the alphabet because of all the PBS she watches! I had no idea she knew the alphabet but as she was watching Superwhy about 2 months ago, she was shouting out the letters. I guess younger siblings almost seem to learn things by osmosis.

No comments: