Tuesday, June 30, 2009

Recipe: Zucchini Bread

I am posting this more for myself since I make it all the time and it's easier for me to find on my blog than allrecipes.com.

Now that my zucchini is growing in my backyard, I'll probably be make it every week. I have tweaked it from the original recipe so here is my variation to make it healthier but still delicious.

Moms' Zucchini Bread

1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1 1/2 cups whole wheat flour
1/4 cup of ground flax seed
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1 teaspoon ground allspice
1 teaspoon ground cloves
3 eggs
1 cup vegetable oil
2 1/4 cups white sugar
3 teaspoons vanilla extract
2 cups grated zucchini


Directions:
1. Grease and flour two 8 x 4 inch pans. Preheat oven to 325 degrees F (165 degrees C).
2. Sift flour, salt, baking powder, soda, and spices together in a bowl.
3. Beat eggs, oil, vanilla, and sugar together in a large bowl. Add sifted ingredients to the creamed mixture, and beat well. Stir in zucchini and nuts until well combined. Pour batter into 2 prepared pans.
4. Bake for 40 to 60 minutes, or until tester inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool in pan on rack for 20 minutes. Remove bread from pan, and completely cool.

The kids love this bread. Elysha calls it bikini bread--at least that is what it sounds like she's saying. Joey tries to correct her:
J: "No no Elysha. Listen to me: zookeenee bread."
E: "That's what I said. Bikini bread!"

We usually finish one loaf before it has even had a chance to cool down--even Sam gobbles it down. I use my hand power chopper to cut up the zucchini. In less than a minute, I've got really finely chopped zucchini. Cuts down on the prep time a lot. If you don't have one of these babies, go out and buy one. Absolutely worth the money. I use it all the time and the clean up is a cinch.

5 comments:

sillie smile said...

i was JUST thinking about your garden.. you haven't posted pics. is it getting harder to work on with so much going on?

Joelsamama said...

Yes and no. I enjoy reaping the fruits of my labor so even though it is work, I love it. The kids ate three zucchini I picked today from the garden. Sam and I ate some cucumber yesterday. The tomatoes are slow growing since I started later this season, and I'm starting to get pumpkins but whether or not they will grow and ripen in time for Halloween is another story...

Asianmommy said...

Yum! Nothing better than fresh-baked zucchini bread!

Mommy Lim said...

i want to make this, but need to buy those gadgets first. the thought of chopping up all the zucchini makes me tired.

Anonymous said...

Thanks for this - you know how much I loved it when I came to your house!!
-K