Monday, September 14, 2009

Recipe: Rachel Ray's Pretzel-Crusted Chicken Breasts

This is a fun dish for kids. I like to serve it when we have guests with little kids. Slightly modified to make it easier. Taken from 365: No Repeats Cookbook.

4 Medium (quart-size) plastic food storage bags
4 small whole boneless, skinless chicken breasts
1 5-oz bag of salted pretzels, any shape
Ground pepper
1 tablespoon dried thyme
2 eggs
Vegetable oil, for frying

Sprinkle a little water into the food storage baggies. Place 1 chicken breast in each bag and seal it up, pushing out excess air. Use a mallet or the bottom of a heavy pot and pound each breast until flat, just shy of busting out of the bag. Repeat with the other 3 chicken breasts.

Place the pretzels in a food processor or blender and grind until fine. Transfer the ground pretzels to a shallow dish and add the thyme and some pepper. Crack and beat 2 eggs in a second shallow dish with a splash of water. Working with 1 pounded chicken breast at a time, coat the breast in the ground pretzels, then in the eggs, then in the pretzels again. Preheat a large skillet with 1/4 inch of vegetable oil; add the pretzel-coated chicken breasts to the hot oil. Cook in a single layer, in 2 batches in necessary, about 3 or 4 minutes on each side, until the cutlets' juices run clear and the breading is evenly browned.

I use the Trader Joe's Whole Grain pretzels. I also like to add course sea salt to the pretzel mix if it doesn't seem salty enough. In place of the thyme, I use Trader Joe's pasta seasoning herb blend. Because I hate the thought of using multiple ziplock bags, I just use one one-gallon bag, put two chicken breasts in at a time, and pound away. The recipe comes with a cheddar-mustard sauce but you can eat this chicken without any additional sauces. It's so delicious and tender.

3 comments:

Eva said...

yummy..have u done it with thighs? or is it tender enough you think cause usually the twins like dark meat i think cause it's more tender... =)

Susan said...

I've only used chicken breast and it is pretty juicy as long as you don't skimp on the frying oil. If you tried to do it with thighs, you would probably have to deep fry it, or bake and baste with olive oil like the Martha Stewart oven-fried chicken recipe on my blog?

The girls loved it tonight; Sam loved the first eight pieces and then spit out the rest...but he does that almost everything I give him. Except yesterday he actually just starting throwing his pizza pieces across the kitchen...at least it wasn't regurgitated...sigh...

Mommy Lim said...

eva made this for us....looooved it! T ate so much! i def have to make often for the family. :)