Wednesday, July 29, 2009

Bye-bye Flashy Car, Hello Minivan


I got in a car accident last week. The kids and I are fine but my car is not. It has been deemed a total loss. So I am looking into minivans. Boo...

I got my car through my now defunct Arbonne business. It was too hard to keep up my business after all my troubles while pregnant with Sam. Even though I shut down my operations, we decided to keep the car. I always felt a little sheepish in my car, except when in Beverly Hills or Brentwood. But for the most part, if people asked me what I drove (like when they're trying to identify me when I'm dropping something off), I would look down, shuffle one foot around and whisper, "a Mercedes."

But now, the thought of driving a minivan kind of makes me nauseous. I feel like I am succumbing to a necessary evil. The funny thing is Chang and I were talking about selling his car and having HIM drive the minivan. But now, the curse is upon me.

I was really shaken up by the accident. I've never been in one. I kept going through it in my head, wondering what I could have done differently. "If only, I didn't stop for coffee that day." Or, "I should have turned at a different intersection." I was mostly disturbed by worst case scenario thoughts. "What if I was going a little faster and the car had hit us where Sam was sitting?" Or "what if a mack truck had hit us?" Then, my wonderfully (and sometimes annoying) glass-is-always-half-full husband said, "I like to think that God put everything in place that allowed all of you to walk away unhurt."

So today, as I was driving through the intersection where I was hit, I felt this overwhelming sense of gratitude. Thank God that even though it was a pretty terrible accident, the children and I were completely unharmed. It really could have been so much worse. But it wasn't. In any case, I am grateful. I have another day with my beautiful and bizarre children.

6 comments:

Eva said...

praise God you guys are all okay. Get the black/black odyssey and join the club that jen lim and i are in!!! hee hee! it was good seeing you guys this weekend and i really think sam and jalen would make great eating buddies!

Mommy Lim said...

thank goodness you are all ok. i'm sorry again that we missed you...but yeah, i've officially joined the minivan club...and i'm still not used to it. :(

Asianmommy said...

I'm glad you're all OK. I was hesistant to get a minivan, but now I love my Sienna.

Snoopy's Twinkie said...

Glad you're all right! Definitely praises to God.

Anonymous said...

That must have been shocking! I had my first accident last year - A truck backed into my car door and smashed the window to pieces. Luckily no one was in the passenger side. It was reparable, but boy, I was shaken. Makes me a more cautious, defensive driver.

It'll be fun shopping for a new car!
-Ruth

lisa cho said...

i'm sorry to hear about your accident! but thank God everyone is OK. it's surprising that with 3 children you've been able to hold out this long against the minivan, haha. i've been staging a protest since joshua was born but am slowly warming up to the idea... his stroller is such a pain in the butt because it fills my entire trunk. hope you find at least a sexy color! :)