Sunday, November 16, 2008

Happy 1st Birthday Sam!

My baby is one today. It is hard to believe that he is already one year old. Even the girls were saying that the year went by fast. We had a family gathering at our house yesterday and it was chaotic with the wildfires. I had family coming from all over and everyone was stuck in traffic. My poor mommy had to drive all the way here by herself. The original plan was for her to drive to my uncle's house, and then they come together. But with the 91 closed down, they designated my older uncle's house as the meeting point. But the 10, 60, and 57 freeways were a mess so I rerouted her all the way around where the traffic was flowing. So unfortunately, she had to drive three hours to get to our house. Fortunately, she is doing much better with her physical therapy. She says she can now raise her hands to the heavens. Still, she is tired and being stuck in the car for hours doesn't help.

Anyhow, everyone eventually made their way over to our home and it was nice to have everyone over. Sam was being a good baby as usual. Originally, I wasn't going to do all the traditional Korean stuff but my mother-in-law insisted. My uncle said we should have been going all out for the boy, like we did with Joey (for whom we did a mini-wedding at a nice Korean restaurant. And yes, male favoritism runs rampant in both sides of the family). My sister-in-law felt bad for Sam, so she splurged on a balloon arch and other decorations. We set out the stuff for the dol jabee and Sam grabbed a pencil and a golf ball. My mother-in-law declared he would become president. The nice thing is now that Obama is president-elect, there is a part of me that thinks it could actually happen.

What I love most about Sam these days is that though he plays very independently, he likes to know that we are around. When I am busy around the house, he follows me around like a puppy. And when he is playing by himself in the playroom, I will come sit next to him after I am done doing whatever, and when he sees me, his face lights up, he stops whatever he was doing, crawls over to me, and collapses into my lap. He will lay his head in my lap for a little bit and then go back to what he was doing. He also gives us kisses. Sometimes, when I am holding him, he will put his head against my chest or shoulder, look up at me, and then lean in and kiss me. He makes that "mmmmah" sound while he presses his slobbery lips against mine. It is so cute. Afterwards, I feel like I have been slimed because he is so drooly, but it is still so adorable. When he is being held, he has this look on his face of total surrender and implicit trust. I pray, pray, pray that it will never go away.

I love you Sammy! We all love you so much. With all the circumstances surrounding your conception, gestation, and delivery, I have no doubt in my mind that you are a gift from God. He has a plan and a purpose for you. You will always be my cuddle bunny. If I had my way, you would always fit in the crook of my arm.

Pictures to come tomorrow...

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Happy Bday to Sam!

Mommy Lim said...

happy bday Sam!!! :)