Tuesday, May 25, 2010

My Swan Song...

As you can tell, I haven't been posting too furiously these days. I think I might be hanging up my blogging cap for a while. It's been fun and I have enjoyed writing again. But I feel like I can barely keep up with everything else.

I toyed with not letting Sam take naps for the last few weeks because he has been staying up after we put him to bed--usually singing in his crib (today he was singing Beyonce's "Single Ladies"). Sometimes he wouldn't sleep for hours.

But the nap moratorium was painful for two reasons. One, my days were 12-13 hour days with no breaks. Two, Sam was excruciatingly grumpy because he didn't nap. Last week, however, Sam finally decided to jump out of his crib, come out of his room, and start unloading the dishwasher in the mornings--which would be fine except he often takes things out of the dishwasher and put his mouth all over it. So we moved him into his toddler bed, decked out with new Disney Car's sheets. Now that Sam knows he can exit his room whenever he wants, he has been waking up at the crack of dawn. Thanks to my brainwashing, he only wants Chang in the morning. So even though Chang has more reason to complain, I am still exhausted by the fact that Sam wakes Chang up earlier than before (cue the rolling of eyes from Chang).

These days, Sam has been a terror (yes, my sweet angel baby is the thorn in my flesh at the moment). I'm sure it is a combination of terrible two's and getting significantly less sleep than before, but I am ready to ship him off to a boarding preschool.

In August, Sam will start preschool, so long as I tackle potty training. But honestly, I am sending him in August, no matter what. I'm sure the teachers will hate me because he will have several accidents daily and he is supposed to be fully potty trained. But I am ready for freedom. I have a long laundry list of things that I want to do--finally get fit and fabulous, clean every nook and corner of my house, and meet friends in the middle of the day for cocktails. That is it--no more lofty goals of going to school or writing a book. I just want to enjoy my freedom. I am envisioning myself breaking into a song as I go along the day. Birds will come and sit on my shoulder, people around me will suddenly dance with me in a choreographed ditty. I want to get dressed every day looking like Carrie Bradshaw--no more mommy uniform for me. I am going to wear heels and carry a gorgeous purse because I finally won't have to worry about carrying diapers or a sippy cup in it. La la la laboutin! I can't wait!

So I might post pictures of my kids on occasion but this could be my swan song. The end of the school year is almost here which means I will have all three kids home with me a lot this summer. Then Elysha will be starting kindergarten, Joey will be in first grade and Sam will be going to school on the other side of town. This means, three different schedules at two different locations. It is going to be crazy and though I will finally be childless for the first time in over six years, it will really only be a couple hours every day and that includes the 90 + minutes I will be driving back and forth between the two schools. Freedom finally, yes, but just a little bit.

It's been fun and I appreciate you coming along in my journey of honest parenting. It sucks sometimes...but I still love them...especially when they are sleeping...

6 comments:

Mommy Lim said...

oh i love this post. will miss reading, but understand. i will also be experiencing some freedom starting in august...too bad we aren't closer to meet up for cocktails at 10am. notice my comment is at 6:30am....sigh...that's cuz i'm not as smart as you to brainwash my hubby to get kid #2 at the crack of dawn.

Eva said...

suzee!!! woah, i feel like i'm living parallel lives with you except i don't have 3 kids...but sillie smile has also been convincing me to cup joelle's nap..but for your same reasons, i have been hesitant...such a dilemma, and we are on the verge of maybe transitioning to beds too and also decked in Cars sheets! hahaa..and ME TOO!! freedom in august! both twins to preschool!!! we could have totally enjoyed it together if we were at our place in LA! and joelle potty trained and Jalen not..but has to be by august too!! i feel you..completely!! hang in there! have a great summer!

Joanne Choi said...

Potty training shmotty training...

you'll blog again...because it's your release. Even with no time, you can do it. Stick the kids in the car with the music on, and run in and dash off a few words or so. People want to read your words...

in the meanwhile, how about that drink?

Anonymous said...

hi i've been following your blog for awhile and just wanted to say thanks for all the fun heartwarming posts. i'll still visit for the cute pictures.

-Ohriumma

Susan said...

thanks everyone for your nice comments.
@Mommy Lim and Eva--I wish I was up there so we could do our morning cocktails. I convinced some friends to go out for donuts today--I needed something to soothe the soul.
@Joanne--my release is ben and jerry's ice cream and watching tv. you are way more industrious than I am. but you would be proud, I've been making different dishes, getting inspired by my farmer's market excursions. Last might I couldn't fall asleep because I was thinking about italian sausage and how much flavor it adds to a pasta dish.
@ohriumma--thanks for following and for commenting. It was always nice to get a comment from a blogging friend.

Anonymous said...

Oh no! Say it ain't so! I love reading your blogs when I am stuck in an airport and catching up with what's going on in your life and the kids' latest news. Will miss it... Hey we are going to be in LA for a week and a few days beginning June 25. Let me know if you guys are around for a visit!
Hugs,
Ruth